Author Topic: Introduced Exotic Pests  (Read 3164 times)

C.M.Keighley

• Whitby Naturalist Member
Introduced Exotic Pests
« on: January 11, 2012, 10:21:54 pm »
Whilst listening to the lecture by Simon Hirst on Saturday 7.1.12 a comment that I had heard somewhere, some time ago came into  my head.

This was regarding the high number of Pheasants (which are an introduced species) that are released in the North York Moors area each year and what effect they have on the populations of reptiles, amphibians and invertebrates.

I know that the feed put out for pheasants creates unnaturally high populations of rats which again will put pressure on other species.

It is worth a thought..........................................Perhaps I will contact the Park Authority for comment. 

Dave Perry

• Dave Perry's logbook
Re: Introduced Exotic Pests
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 08:59:07 pm »
Another worrying bit about the huge increase in pheasant rearing and release (apart from the likely ecological damage overdosing the landscape with dopey pheasants) is the fact that this indicates a massive increase in the shooting business, which in turn means investors/owners have invested money in it and predator control is likely to be contrastingly much more rigorous than before.
And because there are now so many of the dosey pheasants I'm sure that there are an increase in predators who find them much easier to catch than the old wild rearer bird.

C.M.Keighley

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 11:01:24 pm »
I feel sorry for the pheasants, they are released in late summer are fed by keepers and become programmed to recognise the sound of motor vehicles with feeding time.. they have no parent birds to do the parenting so the birds have little idea about the dangers of the wildwood and roads.  So when you are driving in late summer or early winter and you come across
flocks of pheasants rushing onto the road as you approach just remember that to them you represent feeding time.   

Michael Barrett

• Administrator
  • membership secretary / winter program organiser
    • Whitby Naturalists
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 11:57:36 pm »
I think that the whole business is an ecological discrace: what ideas to deal with on a local basis to start with??
Michael Barrett